Friday 4 March 2011

Memories

I am hoping that those of you who have memories of the grandparents would share them as many of us never knew them. I do have some memories of Great Grandma Reddekopp from when she was in the nursing home in Winkler. She always said she couldn't remember our english names so she always would address Esther, Dennis and myself by our second names which she could pronounce. So Esther was little (kliene) Anne, Dennis was little (kliene) George and I was little (kliene) Marie. Of course these names were pronounced in the low german language. Because she had bad eyesite, she would touch our arms and faces so she knew who we were and then for good measure would give us a little pinch. She was quite a large woman and so to me she looked huge, and she would sit in this double wide chair. But she recognized us almost till the end. She lived almost to her 98th birthday. Going to visit her when my Dad was alive was a regular Sunday outing.

2 comments:

  1. I remember Oma would always recognize my dad's voice when he came in and never my mom's! My mom thought she was doing this on purpose She also always put her hand on our heads to see how much we had grown since she couldn't see us.

    ReplyDelete